17 January 2008

Shhhhh.....

She's sleeping. I have time to get stuff done. YAY!
Things are going pretty well 'round here. I am totally in love with this child, and really, with motherhood. The past couple nights haven't been bad- Randy and I have become master problem-solvers. We figured out the screaming diaper-change thing: she HATES to be cold, so we have a space heater that goes wherever we are, and as long as the room is warm (our house has really high ceilings so it is very drafty), we're good to go. I think I've figured out her reluctance to eat sometimes: she LOVES the premade formula, and will eat the powder-mixed stuff, but not nearly as well. So we ordered a case of the little hospital 2 oz. bottles (which are $$ but so convenient!) and I have some samples of the ready-to-feed liquid that I can use until those arrive. I was afraid to open the bottle of liquid, b/c it has to be used in 3 days, and I figured we would waste half of it. Then I did the math, and it should work out almost perfect! We now need to figure out about her diaper slipping down to her butt and allowing pee to escape up her back and soaking the poor girl when she sleeps. We tried preemie diapers, which fit good, but aren't very absorbent. The NB size work ok, but we have to rig it so it stays off her belly-button. Once that thing falls off it will probably be easier to keep the diaper up on her. Compounding the problem is the fact that she has very few items of clothes that FIT. Well, really NONE fit, but a couple gowns are better than others, and I LOVE to keep her in those so it is easy to change her. We are gonna go to BRU this weekend and look for some preemie clothes.

I am feeling better for the most part. I am still really sore (sitting is pretty painful) and the milk factory is in going-out-of-business mode since I'm not nursing, and THAT is worse pain that the birth! Today is better, though, as I can move around better without being in total agony. I am also getting paid back for not being very hormonal during my pregnancy, as the hormones are RAGING. Especially Tuesday night. I walked around the house for HOURS crying my eyes out. I was frustrated because I was trying to get the house straightened up, but I was hurting SO bad and Randy had to finish his bid so he couldn't help me much, plus I had been alone all day. I really freaked Randy out, and he wouldn't let me stay alone yesterday after our pediatrician appt. He called Grandma and she came over and was SUCH an angel for all the help she provided. She vacuumed and swept and fed Gracie for me, and I was able to relax for a bit. It is SO nice to have her nearby and to know that she can come whenever to lend a hand. She and Grandpa and Aunt Trish came over last night, too, and brought us dinner, and she gave Gracie a sponge bath, so she is nice and clean. We also saw Kelly, Jon and Jenny yesterday which was nice, and Kelly and Jon are going to come eat with us tomorrow before the hockey game.

Gracie checked out great at her Dr. appt. She lost 6 ounces of weight, which is normal. Otherwise she was healthy! We go back Tuesday for another check. I wish MY doc would have me come back for a checkup before 6 weeks... I could use some reassurance that everything was healing ok. Seems strange that they see you 8 bazillion times while you're pregnant, then they drop you like a rock after you go through the trauma of delivering the baby!

I'm sure there's other stuff I was gonna post about, but I can't remember right now. For now, I shall let sleeping angels lie, and eat my lunch...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your updates! Brings back so many memories....

tarheel4life said...

wow - I don't miss the hormones, that is for sure. sounds like she is an angel. I can't wait to meet her!

Anonymous said...

Seriously, call us if you need anything at all!

Sherry said...

Wow, is this what I have to look forward to? I know you guys are doing a great job as parents and Gracie is very lucky to have you. Please let us know if we can come over to help out or take her off your hands for a bit to let you take a bath, relax or whatever. It will give us good practice! Hang in there, the emotional rollercoaster should be easing up.