19 February 2008

Goodness Gracies!

A couple things:
*We have SMILES! Occasionally we can get a cute little smile out of Gracie- and I think they are on purpose! She sort of opens her mouth, then manages to create a little smile! So cute! I have a pic on my phone, but the quality is bad, so I will try to get a good one soon.
*We also have COOS! She makes the cutest little noise sometimes! We can't get her to do it "on command", but it just melts my heart when she does. I can't wait until she starts making more noises.
*We're trying to get into a better routine for the day. Right now, we get up around 8:00-9:00a, Gracie eats, stays awake for a while, plays with me or hangs out in her bouncer looking at Jacque the Peacock (her newest toy) or the kangaroo (I need to look up his name) that Erika sent her. Then we get dressed, Gracie eats again (around 11:00-12:00) and we go out to run errands. She sleeps the whole time. We come home, Gracie eats then may or may not stay awake a while. Daddy comes home and the evening consists of us trying to keep Gracie awake, eating dinner and getting ready for bed. I want to start a bedtime routine, but it isn't easy. I don't want to give her a bath every night (it is quite the undertaking), and it never fails that she's not even CLOSE to being sleepy at the right time of any routine. I try to give her the last bottle by 11:00p, and she goes to sleep. She usually sleeps until 4:00am or so, then gets another feeding, and lately has been waking up around 6:00a making all these crazy grunting noises and carrying on. That's the worst part of the day/night, because I can tell she's still sleepy, and not hungry, but she seems really uncomfortable and won't settle down and go back to sleep. Unless, that is, I lay her down on her belly with me, then we might can get a couple more hours of restless sleep. I am guessing she's gassy, but Mylicon doesn't seem to help. Don't know what to do about that.
*The pacifier. I caved. She wasn't interested in the pacifiers I had offered her before, but I kept reading that babies need to suck and in the evening Gracie seemed to want to eat ALL the time, and I don't want her to overeat just because she likes sucking. So I got a new binky that is shaped like her bottle nipples, and she likes it! We don't give it to her when she is interacting with us, in the car, or when trying to go to sleep. Only when she seems to be wanting something in her mouth, but we know she's not hungry. It really helps! At least we can take away the pacifier so she doesn't get hooked on it too bad.
*I have to go into work in a bit to get my maternity leave straightened out. Since Gracie came early, I had to go out a week before I had planned. So they put my leave in wrong and according to HR I'm supposed to be going back to work on Monday! Yeah, right! They told me I can take more time, but I have to do more paperwork for FMLA. Such confusion.
*Randy and I are thinking about going skiing at the end of the week. He has to go back up to the jobsite in Virginia for a couple days, and wants me to go with him, so we're probably going to let Gracie stay with Grandma and we're going to ski while we're up there. I LOVE to ski and have been wanting to go forever (I haven't been in over 4 years!) and Randy has never been. Should be fun!

No comments: