24 February 2009

In the kitchen with Sara

Now that we're eating at home more often, I've been branching out in my selection of dinner food. My gallbladder issue is requiring that I eat low-fat, so I went on a search for some dinner ideas that were easy and low-fat. We've made several really good things, and some- not so much.

This is what I made last night- it was called Coconut Shrimp though there weren't any coconut flakes involved- just the milk. Randy loved it, I just thought it was ok. I liked the spinach, cilantro and ginger (I'd never used fresh ginger before!), but it was too creamy for me.

I thought it was so pretty right after I added the green stuff.

This is where it went downhill for me.

The finished product, served with jasmine rice.

Now, tonight, we had a yummy meal. Jerk chicken salad with Carribbean Vinaigrette. I made the marinade last night, so the chicken had overnight to soak. I've never worked with a habanero pepper before, and a lot of the reviews suggested using only a half of one- I'm glad I followed that advice. I actually got to use my little food processor, too! I cut the chicken into strips and put them on skewers, and we grilled them. I was going to serve the chicken with a side salad and sweet potatoes (from the box, of course), but I forgot we didn't HAVE any sweet potatoes, so I suggested we just put the chicken ON a salad. Randy suggested using the leftover marinade as a dressing, so I boiled it and turned it into a vinaigrette with some olive oil and balsamic vinegar. It was EXCELLENT. We will definitely be making it often.

My salad

Randy (and eventually me) topped his with shredded cheese

No comments: